Length - Can be of any size
Breadth - 2.5 ft to 4 ft (Max)
- Nobody should step on the bed, once the beds are prepared as this will compact / harden the soil.
Height - 1 ft to 5 ft (Max)
- Depending on the availability of the woods or depending on the type of vegetables, the height can be decided.
Space between Beds - 1.5 ft to 2 ft (Max)
- This area can be used for all the activities like sowing, manuring, harvesting etc
- Remove the top soil (1 - 2 inches) where the bed is prepared and keep it aside.
- Place the bigger woods (rotten, cut, fallen etc) in the bed.
- Next place the smaller woods (twigs, branches etc) in the bed.
- Next fill the gaps in the bed with dry leaves, fresh leaves, kitchen waste or anything that will decompose in the bed.
- Cover the woods and other materials by placing the top soil previously collected on top of them .
- The bed is ready for use.
- To further increase the height of the beds, Point No.2 to 5 can be repeated as many times as possible.
- The bed should be from East to West direction to get maximum sunlight throughout the day.
- The bed shape should be round or oval.
- The beds may not need watering for a long time if hard woods are used.
- Generally, most of the vegetables need full sunlight and hence proper plan should be made to ensure that no shadow falls on the bed.
- Few vegetables may tolerate semi-shadow and these can be planted where shadow falls on the bed.